Help Local Food Systems Flourish
2. Georgia has a commanding presence as the number one state in America in which to do business. Georgia must also commit to being the number one state in America were local food systems flourish.
Every investment we make in our Georgia Grown brand to support our local food systems today, will pay dividends and Make Life Better for the future of agriculture across Georgia.
- School Nutrition – I will continue to work closely with the GA Department of Education and the GA Department of Public Health and further connect buyers and sellers to achieve our vision that by the start of the 2020 school year, at least 20% of school lunch menus in Georgia will be “Georgia Grown.
- Cottage Food Systems – Our team developed the national model for cottage food licensing. Now, over 800 Georgia entrepreneurs hold this start-up food business license. We must continue to foster start-ups and help growing enterprises expand.
- Restaurant Partnerships – We will continue to support and leverage the partnership between Georgia Grown and the Georgia Restaurant Association to further connect producers and restaurants making local products more readily available and accessible in all regions of our state.
- Food Bank Network – Farmers across Georgia have made wholesome produce that would otherwise be discarded available to those in need through our partnership with the Georgia Food Bank network – well over 10,000,000 pounds per year since 2015. These generous acts of stewardship should be an encouragement for all of us and I will ensure that this partnership continues to thrive.